Monday, January 6, 2014

FABULOUS FOOD.....Salmon and Wine, Oh-my!

Happy Monday! Let me start of by saying I'm NOT a chef but I LOVE to cook, bake mainly, but I'll try anything in the kitchen as long as it's made from scratch and relatively simple....I believe most foods are good as long as they are natural and preservative free.
 
Our family eats chicken, pasta and salmon most nights of the week and even though they complain that they want something different they also tell me that they "need" one of my meals after they have had a weekend of birthday parties and junk food.
 
I recently read a study that said the people who's BMI (body mass index) were in the "healthy" range often ate the same routine food up to 70% of the time! WOW, I concur! Validation finally.  Still I have looked for ways to spice up our routine food and here is one of my FABULOUS favorites.
 
Salmon: five servings or 1.5 to 2lbs depending on how much your family eats, (mine don't look like it but they eat A LOT). I buy mine at Costco, it is fresh and much less expensive than the local markets.

I cook the salmon in a casserole dish sealed with foil so it stays moist and the scent doesn't trail out of the kitchen....too much.
 
Clean the fish in cool water and place it in a dish that is large enough and deep enough to catch the  juice of the lemons.  First drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, add a tiny dash of pepper (I like more but my little ones don't). Then I top it off with thin slices of lemon. Pop it in the oven at 350 for thirty minutes depending on your oven, you will know it is done when it gets flakey.
 

 
To change this recipe up a bit you can add fresh dill, capers or any fresh herb you'd like. You can also add Dijon mustard, if you do this omit the salt and lemon, that can be added later. You can add teriyaki sauce again omit the lemon and salt if you use this.
 

 

 

 
 
I also like to pair it with my salmon with Chardonnay. Here are a few FABULOUS suggestions.....

I have been using the 90 point rule for a while now. Basically when wines are rated they are given a score from 50-100, anything over 90 being very good. Here is a link to an article if you'd like to read further on this http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-scores.lml. This rating is especially helpful when I need to buy something I am not familiar with.  Here is a link where you can find some of these and they are on SALE! http://wineontheway.com/white-wine/chardonnay
 
FABULOUS wines over 90 points:
 

 

 

 
 
 
I like the stemmed glasses for white because the heat of my fingertips doesn't warm the wine. and it stays icy cold.  It is also best to not fill your glass so the wine has a chance to breath properly..... 
 
 

 



Below is a simple chart....

 

And a more complicated one.....


 

Conversation to be continued...this FABULOUS topic never gets old! 

Cheers!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment