Friday, February 27, 2015

When to buy FABULOUS Trendy Frocks vs. FABULOUS Classic Frocks?

I still struggle with this when I see a piece of clothing that I know has a shelf life of two seconds. I want it but I wonder... is it worth it?  When this happens I refer back to my two requirements....

1. Do I LOVE it?

2. Is the cut flattering?

Victoria Beckham Burberry Black Trench Coat
 
 
 
Classic? Or......
 
 
Crazy fashion trends



The answer to number one has to be an unequivocal.... YES!  I mean, what won't we do for love? We'll climb mountains and look danger in the eye. I've found this to be true in fashion too. I'll wear a pair of six inch Louboutin's that feel like I've decided to start practicing Chinese foot-binding if they match an outfit perfectly and if...I love them.  I really hit the jackpot whenever I fall in love with a pair of shoes and they're also comfy.  I remember one time I was walking down an uneven side walk in Lala land, wearing sandals that I did not love and hurt when I saw a pair of Gucci platform wedges. They started to scream my name and right then and there they proposed to me. We've lived in blissful harmony for many years and after a few visits to cobbler for marriage counseling I can tell you that we're still living happily ever after. Come to think of it that is when my love affair with Gucci began and to be more specific, Tom Ford the genius behind the brand in the early 2000's. He designed things that just resonated with my personal sense of style. Many of his designs had and still have a streamlined quality that have made them classics and have given them a tenure in my closet.

This brings me to why classics, while they do double duty as wardrobe staples also need to be pieces you love. If you find that perfect white T or black pump that you love...buy two! I promise you will thank me later. It may seem like an unnecessary purchase but two years form now when the original black pump you love starts to look like a raisin, you can pull out that fresh pair and continue the love affair.


The answer to question number two, is the cut flattering(?). The answer is personal and takes trial and error, hopefully not too much. It also takes a full length mirror and total honesty with yourself. I've learned this the hard way. I love the sophisticated look pencil skirts but they just don't flatter me the way other skirts do. I've had several fashion hiccups in attempts to be trendy and finally after seeing pictures of myself wearing things that someone should have arrested me for, I think I have a handle on what works on me and what doesn't. We all can't wear boot cut jeans or skinny jeans or mini skirts and so on. But that's the beauty of personal style and once you know what works on your body type shopping becomes simpler and let's face it ,a lot more fun. When I see a backless dress I stop, admire it and then move on. It's not going to happen because my body type isn't meant for backless. I do however LOVE strapless, halter, sleeveless and my favorite is anything with a tight long sleeve that hits the perfect spot just past my wrist.

So in condensing both questions I think trends will be as much a part of our lives as traffic. Sometimes they will work in our favor and sometimes it is just not meant to be. Lastly, classics don't have to be boring, to the contrary, for me they are building blocks to most of my outfits whether it's my Burberry trench or my favorite soft white t-shirt. 

Here are some trends I'm obsessed with and here are a few of my old standbys that never let me down... and are always... haute.



These Pigalle Louboutin pumps are everything....they are sleek, classic, neutral, trendy and classic. They go with jeans and couture.  The answer to questions one and two are...yes and yes.




Gap basic white T. This is a huge part of my wardrobe. I love pairing it with leather leggings and a bootie or pretty much anything....

Photo 1 of Drape Front Blouse
Sorry this image isn't better but I still wanted to include it since it is my latest go-to blouse. It's the Marl Drape Blouse by Topshop. The matted texture allows for this blouse to go with leather, denim or silk trousers. Again, this pretty much goes with everything. I just wore it with a pair of silk kaki shorts. I also have the cream version and will buy any other colors they dream up.

http://us.topshop.com/en/tsus/product/clothing-70483/tops-70498/blouses-2291599/textured-marl-drape-blouse-4060408?refinements=category~%5b209855%7c208637%5d&bi=1&ps=20

Finders Keepers Someday Strappy Jumpsuit

I love this trend. I hope it stays for a while because a basic like this can be paired with a denim jacket, a tailored blazer, fun baubles, and any shoe your heart desires....sky is the limit with this.

harrods.com

J.Crew Broken-in jean jacket in Gregson wash

This is my all time favorite that was a trend a very long time ago....See, there is hope that some trends will never leave us...and that's a good thing!

www.jcrew.com

Old Navy

No comments:

Post a Comment