Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Secret to FABULOUS Boho Waves...

Boho waves are everywhere we turn from magazine covers to the girls behind the cosmetics counters. I've been experimenting with ways to get this look easily and properly without looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Hair has always eluded me a bit so if I can nail this look then anyone can. I have very long hair that is naturally curly in random ways. It is not the kind of hair that I can just wash and go. For those of you girls with straight hair out there....I envy you. I blow-dry my hair straight just to re-wave it...talk about being redundant. All in the name of vanity I have decided there must be a quick way to get this look so here is what I've come up with.... 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 








 
 
 
The Sultra one inch hair wand is what I use for very loose beach like waves.
 
 
The T3 SinglePass Whirl is good if you want volume at your roots and a tighter wave at the tip. I noticed a looser curl than what you'd get from this one on the runway but I still think that you should do the look that works best for you.
 
So, lets get started...
 
Start with dry hair, either day old washed or just blown out. If you have flat ironed hair then you'll need to start over as the curl won't take. The science nerd in me likes to understand how things work so I'll share what I know. When heat is added to hair the cuticles open up and the hair is "receptive" to being styled or "manipulated" once the hair cools down the cuticles close and thus the hair will "hold" the position it is in. So if you've already flat ironed your hair it won't be receptive to being manipulated again.
 
I have several products I like to use. I think the product you pick should depend on the look you want. If you want more of a beachy wave then pick a texturizing spray. If you want a smooth wave then pick a holding heat activated spray.

I hold the wand perpendicular to the floor and wrap a one inch section of hair starting at the root, hold it, and count to ten (slowly) then drop it off the iron and let it cool and set before I run my fingers through it.

Now, for another way to get waves without the heat.....while you sleep.

Braid damp (almost dry) hair in big-fat braids. If you do small braids you will have small waives like a bad perm in the 90's. I usually do three braids then fold the tip of the braid up in a loop so it will have a curl to it.


The other way to get waves is to twist two inch sections of damp hair with a holding product into a coil an pin them in place. Let it dry while you sleep and unpin.

*I dry my hair a bit before I braid or pin curl it. If it is extremely wet it will most likely be wet when I wake. I also never do this during the winter. In the summer however, I LOVE to do this because it keeps me cool. It is also a great hair do for travel. 

Also, never comb through the waives with a brush, if you do it will become frizzy and or flat or just plain awful. 

Lastly, use a light holding spray.

Good luck! xox
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment